This post explains how to do a very affordable and simplistic Fasting Mimicking Diet that can offer similar benefits as the commercially available ProLon Fasting Mimicking Diet by Dr. Valter Longo.
The benefits of rebooting your body with a Fasting Mimicking Diet extend to improving your immune system and your overall wellness. This is because fasting can be healing, and FMD is a diet that tricks your body into thinking that it’s fasting, when it’s really being nourished by super amazing nutrients.
This diet is different from the concept of intermittent fasting, which was covered in the post titled Ketogenic Diet And Fasting 101 (For Weight Loss, Brain, Skin, Wellness).
*Please note: This post contains affiliate links. Several links in this post will take you to Amazon.com or to other sites where you can find out additional information about some of the products mentioned here, read reviews, and check out prices.
- 1 Introduction – FMD: A Plant Based Fast
- 2 Who Should Avoid The Fasting Mimicking Diet?
- 3 General Information On How To Do The Fasting Mimicking diet
- 4 Preparation For The Simplest Fasting Method: What You Will Need
- 5 Twitching, Feeling Lazy, Or Having A Bit Of A Headache? Get Some Electrolytes!
- 6 A Side Note About The Importance Of Electrolytes
- 7 How Does The Keto Flu Feel Like, And How To Cope?
- 8 The Fasting Mimicking Diet Plan (A Simple 5 Day Diet Plan)
- 9 The Bottom Line On How To Do The FMD
Introduction – FMD: A Plant Based Fast
Fasting has been known to have healing qualities, including rejuvenating cells, prolonging life, and reversing some adverse health conditions.
All the foods mentioned in this post are plant based. This means that they are good enough for vegans, vegetarians, and whole foods lovers, as well as paleo, Atkins, and keto followers.
You really don’t need to be following any specific diet to reap the absolute fantastic benefits of this healing regimen.
This version of the diet will use avocados as one of the main nutrients. If you don’t like avocados, many nutritionists suggest other foods, such as macadamia nuts.
For the sake of simplicity, this post will concentrate on three ingredients: Avocados or macadamia nuts, a superfood drink, and electrolytes.
Who Should Avoid The Fasting Mimicking Diet?
The Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD) can be suited for almost everyone, but with these exceptions. These people should avoid being on the FMD:
- Young people, under the age of 18.
- People who are chronically ill and/or on medication (consult with your doctor first).
- Menstruating women.
- Women who are pregnant.
- Women who are nursing.
General Information On How To Do The Fasting Mimicking diet
Here’s some general information about the FMD.
- It is restrictive in calories (about 800 calories per day) and can last up to 5 days per month. If you prefer, it can be cycled every other month.
- Make sure to break the fast with other foods after 5 days so that you can trick and confuse your body to perform with maximum efficiency. You also want to avoid becoming anemic.
- Do not binge eat on inappropriate foods after you finish your cycle of FMD. You must be sensitive to your body because this diet is a healing diet, and not a starvation diet with promises of great weight loss.
The goal is to reboot your metabolism with the Fasting Mimicking Diet, and not to damage it.
- This fast mimicking diet will ward off illnesses and keep you healthy.
- It will get you into a comfortable state of ketosis faster than anything else (including drinking water alone).
- After this diet, you may want to incorporate a low carb diet (i.e. Ketogenic diet), or a healthy regimen. If you follow a paleo or a keto diet, at day 5 of the FMD, you will already be in ketosis.
- You will have negligible to no keto flu symptoms (no headaches, no cramps, and no laziness). This is mostly true if you have not abused your body with too much sugar in the past.
Preparation For The Simplest Fasting Method: What You Will Need
Many people may recommend other ways of how to do the Fasting Mimicking Diet, but in this post, we will simplify it as much as possible.
There are a few ingredients that you will need on this diet. For 5 days, they can help not only your health and your waist, but they can also help support your wallet.
(Ingredient #1) Avocados Or Macadamia Nuts
You will need 10 avocados to last you 5 days.
You will eat 1 avocado for lunch and 1 avocado for dinner. You can get them at your grocery store, or you can buy them online.
Avocados can be kept in the fridge to keep them from maturing too quickly and to keep their freshness.
The health benefits of avocados are amazing, and even if you don’t do the FMD, you should incorporate one avocado per day in your daily routine. Avocados are anti-inflammatory foods that are great for digestion, heart health, arthritis, and autoimmune diseases.
If you’re using macadamia nuts, you want to have enough to support you for 5 days (a 24 oz. bag of macadamia nuts is enough = 48 tbs.) You will be crushing the macadamia nuts to measure them. You will be eating 4 tablespoons of macadamia nuts twice a day (so, buy a total of 40 tablespoons of macadamia nuts to support you for 5 days).
(Ingredient #2) Green Drink Powder Superfood
You will be drinking 2 cups of green drink powder superfood each day. Just ask for it at your health food store, or search for it online. The one shown here tastes good and is what we recommend, but feel free to explore other products.
You want to make sure that your superfood powder drink has enough antioxidants, phytonutrients, and tastes good. Otherwise, your drink will taste like grass (literally). If you already have a green superfood drink that tastes bad, add a bit of stevia to the mix, and that should help.
You will simply follow the instructions on the package, add the powder to water, stir it up and drink it.
Here are the reasons you want to use the green drink powder over actually juicing:
- Powder drinks have fewer carbohydrates than real vegetables and fruits.
- Green drink powder is more affordable than purchasing vegetable and fruit produce to juice each day.
- They are available all year round.
(Ingredient #3) Supportive Liquid Electrolytes, or Celtic Sea Salt
Electrolyte is a scientific term to indicate the important salts that your body needs to survive.
You can get them from liquid products, or include about a teaspoon of Celtic Sea salt to a gallon of water to sip on every day (you can also add a bit of salt to your green drink).
Electrolytes are very important because they conduct the electricity in our bodies, especially in our cells and organs.
Without the proper amounts of electrolytes in our bodies, we can die.
Common electrolytes include:
- Sodium – Critical to the body function. It regulates the total amount of water by transmitting sodium in and out of cells.
- Potassium – Critical to the function of cells in the body. It also regulates the heartbeat and the muscle functions.
- Chloride – This super important electrolyte is usually lost in the urine and during sweat. It helps the body keep a normal level of fluids. Too much of this electrolyte can bring on diarrhea, or kidney issues. Too little of this electrolyte can disrupt your body.
- Bicarbonate – This impacts the levels of acidity (pH) in the blood and in other areas of the body. Not having enough bicarbonate in your body can disrupt your kidney functions, respiratory functions, or metabolic conditions.
Twitching, Feeling Lazy, Or Having A Bit Of A Headache? Get Some Electrolytes!
If you feel any of the twitching, headaches, or flu-like symptoms, don’t worry. This means that the diet is working. However, you may not be taking in all your necessary electrolytes when you undergo a diet like the FMD.
When you add electrolytes to your water or to your green drink, you want to make sure that the electrolytes have no added sugar, additives, or calories.
Liquid electrolytes might work great for people who are sensitive to sodium. The best electrolytes are not going to taste like orange juice or anything like that, because they are mineral based.
If you start twitching, feeling ill and tired, or start getting a headache, then you are most likely in need of electrolytes. Add about 1/4 teaspoon of Celtic sea salt to 32 oz. of water and drink it (or might as well add 1 full teaspoon of Celtic sea salt to a gallon of water and sip on it all day).
Celtic sea salt has potassium, magnesium and other important trace minerals that your body is probably screaming for.
Drink more of this concoction throughout the day (and repeat every day). Your symptoms will subside.
A Side Note About The Importance Of Electrolytes
Just like the oil in a car needs frequent changing to preserve the car’s engine, the ionic exchange that electrolytes provide is needed in the body to preserve its health and vitality.
On the safe side, you may need to add about 1 teaspoons of Celtic sea salt for every gallon of water you consume (i.e. 128 ounces). This is to hydrate your body during the day.
You may need more electrolytes during the day, especially if you feel nauseated, or tired.
If you’re concerned about overloading your body with sodium, then consider adding liquid electrolytes. Make sure to get electrolytes without added sugar.
It is crucial to have electrolytes on this diet. A lot of your minerals will be depleted from your body and you absolutely positively need that potassium and sodium ion exchange.
These minerals will help you eliminate your flu-like symptoms, diminish cramping, provide you with energy, and eliminate headaches.
How Does The Keto Flu Feel Like, And How To Cope?
If you’re already in ketosis but wanted to reboot your immune system, then you would probably feel good on day 1. However, if you have been eating a lot of sugary foods and carbs prior to doing this diet, then get ready to be uncomfortable for a day or two (and sometimes more, depending on how bad your diet was before).
- Your day may start OK, but then you might feel a bit of a headache as your glycogen gets depleted from your liver. You want to make sure to add a lot of water and a lot of electrolytes during the day.
- You might also feel nauseated, and tired towards the end of the day. If you start feeling bad, don’t wait until things get worse. Add salt/electrolytes to some water and drink it. You can also add 1 tablespoon of bouillon to 1 cup of boiling water (like a soup) and drink it.
- If you vomit (and it could happen), it means that you need electrolytes desperately, as your electrolytes are out of balance. Severe vomiting can cause dehydration and can lower your electrolytes to the point of causing potassium to decrease sharply in your system and resulting in other symptoms, such as twitching, cramping, or muscle aches.
- Since your diet was really bad prior to FMD, the nauseous feeling may come back the next day towards the end of the day, or may even linger for a few days… To avoid it, keep hydrating during the day and adding those electrolytes or salts.
- You might think “what the heck did I get myself into?” but if you’re healthy to begin with, stick with it. Salt and electrolytes are so important because they’re going to minimize the feeling of withdrawal. If you don’t add enough salt that provides you with electrolytes, then you will feel like you’re undergoing a mini hangover. The symptoms will eventually pass and you will feel absolutely fantastic.
- Go to bed early when you feel tired because the effects may feel like a sinus infection.
- You want to make sure to continue to hydrate and taken in the salt/electrolytes to avoid the keto flu.
- The idea is to not go back to your old ways after doing FMD. You want to make sure you make healthier choices and lower your intake of processed foods, sugars, and carbohydrates.
- Once you repeat the diet in a month or two, you will not undergo much of the symptoms mentioned here.
The Fasting Mimicking Diet Plan (A Simple 5 Day Diet Plan)
The Fasting Mimicking Diet (FMD) recipes should be simple and super easy to make. In fact, they are so easy; they can be prepared in less than 1 minute each.
Here is a simple Fasting Mimicking Diet meal plan that you can do 5 days per month, every month.
Just be ready to feel a bit of hunger the first few hours of your first day, but if you can pull through it, then you will thank yourself later.
Fasting Mimicking Diet Plan – Meal #1 x 5 days
This variation on the Fasting Mimicking Diet has 2 meals. You can treat the first one as a mid-day brunch and the second one as dinner.
Do not eat more than twice throughout the day. Drink water with electrolytes in between. You can wait until you are hungry again to eat your second meal.
You will feel a bit of hunger your first few hours of the five day Fasting Mimicking Diet, but the hunger usually subsides once you get into ketosis (which should not take long on this regimen – Possibly overnight).
- For your first meal: 1 avocado or 4 tablespoons of macadamia nuts (not both).
- 1 serving of green powder superfood.
- Water with electrolytes or with Celtic sea salt. In essence, you will need to drink a minimum of half your current weight in water.
Fasting Mimicking Diet Plan – Meal #2 x 5 days
For your second, and last, meal:
- 1 avocado or 4 tablespoons of macadamia nuts (not both).
- 1 cup of green powder superfood.
- Water with electrolytes throughout the day.
The Bottom Line On How To Do The FMD
The five day Fasting Mimicking Diet is just that: A diet that can trick the body into thinking that it’s fasting, but it’s just mimicking a fast.
This diet is plant-based. It can be done once a month, or once every other month. It lasts 5 days each time.
Once you complete the diet, you should get back to your normal way of healthy eating.
If you suffer from a chronic illness or are taking medication, you should not follow this diet without the supervision of your doctor. Also, this diet should not be followed by children, teens, or women who are menstruating, pregnant, or nursing.
The preliminary results of following the FMD diet have shown it to be effective in reducing weight, rebooting the immune system, helping the heart stay healthy, lowering blood pressure, improving diabetic conditions, reducing inflammation in the body, improving memory and cognitive health, as well as lowering cholesterol.
Now, it’s your turn… Do you now have a clear understanding on how to do the Fasting Mimicking Diet? Have you had any good results with the FMD before? Share your experience in the comments below and let us know.