If you have a loved one who suffers from autoimmune arthritis like RA, know that they are constantly under a barrage of discomfort. Our loved ones require thoughtful care, particularly when it comes to giving gifts for celebratory occasions. We need to ensure that we treat our arthritic people with special gifts that can help them live a better life and ease their pain.
Note: Before purchasing any of these gifts for arthritic people, make sure that they can ship to your country of destination (i.e. US, UK, etc.). This will all be listed at the page that is linked to the product. The links on this page will take you to Amazon.com where you can read reviews and find out additional product information.
Our 19 Best Gifts For People With Arthritis – Priced Under $50 ($)
Look at these cuties! Pets like cats and dogs can be great companions for people with RA. Pets in general can sometimes make more sense to be considered as rheumatoid arthritis gifts, over other rheumatoid arthritis accessories, because they can bring joy, companionship and meaning to life.
If you decide to give a cat or a dog to a loved one with RA, make sure to follow these 3 very important guidelines:
- Do not surprise the person. Always discuss whether the receiver would like a pet. This is because the pet can cost money to keep, and can also require extra work on behalf of the RA sufferer. Often times, a person with rheumatoid arthritis welcomes a pet in the house, as pets are a wonderful addition to their life. However, you want to make sure that you discuss this with them first.
- Pay the pet’s associated fees. Once the receiver agrees to the pet, consider paying all the adoption fees and throwing in some food and pet supplies in the mix. This way the receiver doesn’t have to worry about food or other necessary items for a week or so. Often times, people with RA may have difficulties getting to the pet store, especially if they are going through an arthritic flare.
- Research the desired breed and discuss the type of pet with your receiver. Make sure that the personality of the pet fits the personality of the RA sufferer. Don’t give a hyper young puppy that needs constant care and attention to someone with a severe arthritis condition. A poodle has a much different personality than a German Sheppard. A Tabby cat may act differently than a Siamese cat. Ask the receiver what they like and try to match their personality with the correct pet type and breed.
- Why we like it: Rheumatoid arthritis accessories don’t have to be boring or complicated. You know how hard it is to open jars even with good hands, let alone with painful arthritic hands. One of the most effective gadgets for arthritic hands is this cute little electric jar opener. It might be small, but it is powerful. It allows a person with arthritis to have a firm grip around lids that are otherwise extremely painful and hard to open. Even kids with rheumatoid arthritis can open jars with this electric jar opener thanks for its ease of use. You will save your loved one pain and suffering when you give them something that can help them with their daily life.
- Specifications: Battery operated and weighs 1 pound.
- Why we like them: We like this set of easy grip cups simply because they are light, and are super easy to use. They are not heavy, and offer a helpful and painless way to hold beverages, making them great as gifts for arthritis hands. These cups will not slip from the hands the same way other heavy glasses might.
- Specifications: They are made in the U.S.A and come in a set of 4 different colors. These cups can be used for hot or cold beverages. They are BPA free and will hold 12 oz. of liquid.
- Why we like it: This organic grade loose tea has amazing anti-inflammatory benefits. It is made of turmeric, ginger, lemongrass, and licorice. Turmeric and ginger have been used for hundreds of years to help alleviate inflammation and joint pain. This anti-inflammatory loose tea can help relieve other conditions, such as upset stomach, indigestion, nausea, and motion sickness, thanks to its antioxidant effects. It can be used as hot tea or as cold tea.
- Specifications: This is a 4 oz. package, which can make anything between 35 and 55 cups (depending on preference of tea strength). It comes with a BAP-free silicone and stainless steel loose tea infuser strainer.
- Why we like it: There are many books about living with rheumatoid arthritis, but most deal with the condition itself. This book has delicious recipes that are full of antioxidants to help reduce inflammation in the body. It is available in hardcopy and in the Kindle version and it includes vegetarian recipes, gluten-free recipes, diabetic-friendly recipes and freezer-friendly recipes. It has sections on healthy menus, easy cooking, anti-inflammatory foods, fiber-rich foods, and foods that can fight belly fat and fatigue. It even has a dessert section making this book a complete nutritional solution to help fight the effects of arthritis.
- Specifications: This book titled Eating Well To Fight Arthritis is available in hard copy and in Kindle edition. It has been endorsed by Karen Kennedy, CEO of the Arthritis Association of Louisiana. It is 208 pages long and was first published in 2013. Be sure to choose which version you wish to purchase before paying for the item: Kindle or hard copy.
- Why we like it: This titanium magnetic bracelet uses a “magnetic therapy” technique that can be traced back hundreds of years. Magnetic therapy can help in reducing inflammation. It can also improve blood circulation, lessen stress and fatigue, as well as help people relax and fall asleep. This bracelet is very well made and can be worn as a piece of jewelry while maintaining its role as a therapeutic product. Think of it as a one of the many gifts for people who like to relax and sleep but who might have a hard time falling asleep on their own.
- Specifications: It is made from strong high quality titanium magnets and it is hypoallergenic (meaning it will not irritate the skin). It can be resized and it comes with a gift box.
- Why we like them: These compression gloves for rheumatoid arthritis & osteoarthritis fit the form of the person’s hand naturally and offer compression therapy support. The hands stay warm and the gloves feel like a second rejuvenated skin. This makes a person suffering from arthritis keep their joints warm and perform functions they weren’t able to do before, like lift objects or use a computer keyboard.
- Specifications: These useful compression gloves are made of breathable cotton and spandex materials. This technology allows an arthritic person to wear them all day long with ease and comfort. They come in small, medium, or large sizes. They have an open finger style, and can be used by women, men, or children.
- Why we like it: Lifting grocery bags from the car trunk to the fridge can be challenging for someone with arthritic hands. So can carrying items from one place to another. A little helper such as this chic wheeled shopping trolley dolly can help transport otherwise heavy objects. This space saver trolley is lightweight and can be flattened out and folded to preserve volume. When emptied, it looks like a good looking shopping bag. It becomes a useful dolly when the bag is removed.
- Specifications: These Types of grocery hauling tools are very popular in Europe! This model can be changed from trolley to dolly and comes in various colors and patterns. It weighs 5 lbs. and can hold a capacity of over 110 lbs. of groceries, which makes it a wonderful addition to an arthritic person’s household items.
- Why we like it: First of all, it is made by Amazon, and Alexa lives there! The Fire 7 tablet Amazon device with the Alexa virtual assistant provides a way to navigate inside the tablet without pushing a lot of buttons. This is an arthritic person’s dream come true! Alexa can interact by answering questions with voice responses, or by following activated commands. Everybody loves tablets because they are entertaining and useful for people from all age groups.
- Specifications: This powerful 7 inch tablet comes in different colors. It is thin and light. The battery can last up to 8 hours, depending on usage (navigation vs. watching videos). Its storage capacity expands to 256 GB using a microSD storage card to keep movies and photos available at the touch of a fingertip or by voice command. It has a camera and all the nice things a tablet can offer.
- Why we like it: People who suffer from arthritis can appreciate any help they can get, especially when it comes to food preparation. This salad shooter and shredder works on electricity, making it easy to operate. It can cut, slice, or shred cheese, fruits, and vegetables. It can chop nuts, bread crumbs, prepare tacos, salads, or food in general, without having to hold knives or apply any effort or power in order to cut fruits and vegetables. It makes food preparation a lot easier for someone with arthritis.
- Specifications: It includes four interchangeable cones for making regular slices, thick slices, ripple cuts, and shreds.
- Why we like them: This is a very good collection of arthritis pens that are especially designed for people who have limited mobility. A pen for an arthritis sufferer should be available in each house because it does alleviate a lot of the pain associated with holding regular pens. These pens feel good to hold without restricting the person into awkward ways of positioning their hand and fingers.
- Specifications: This quality pack comes with 5 total pens. They write in black ink and have a nice blue exterior color. They have a 1 inch diameter barrel, making them super easy to hold due to their versatile design.
- Why we like it: This heated throw blanket is part of the ThermoFine technology that auto-adjusts temperatures for consistent heat control. The heat is always healing and soothing, and this throw blanket makes one of the many great gifts to give to someone with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Specifications: This 50 ” X 60″ heated blanket can turn itself off after 3 hours. It has 3 warming settings. It is made of 100% polyester quilted fleece and can be machined washed. It is safe in the dryer as well, making it functional and durable.
- Why we like it: Who doesn’t love fresh citrus? I don’t know anybody who doesn’t like a fresh cup of orange juice in the morning but I know a lot of people who dislike squeezing them. This tool can be added to the list of great gifts for seniors with arthritis. It is one of the best gadgets for arthritis sufferers because it can do the job with little effort. This electric citrus juicer can help an arthritis sufferer squeeze oranges, lemons, or grapefruits with ease and precision.
- Specifications: The power of this electric juicer is 800 watts and it can accommodate 110-120 volts for U.S. operations.
- Why we like it: This exercise kit sparks ideas around sports and physical wellness. It is a good product for people with arthritis because it provides some form of strengthening exercises for weak joints. It can help arthritic people reduce stiffness, joint pain, stress, and arthritis symptoms. This product is especially useful for someone with carpal tunnel, tendon surgery, tendonitis, or tennis elbow. It can help hands, fingers, wrists, elbows and forearms. It helps those suffering from arthritis build strength.
- Specifications: It comes with adjustable hand gripper, 2 finger stretchers, a 50 lbs. hand strengthener grip, finger exerciser than can add 4 lbs. on each finger, instructions, and a carrying bag.
- Why we like it: This quilted mattress pad is not only well made, but it also provide heat therapy that a person with arthritis can appreciate. It has an exclusive ThermoFine warning system that can deliver gentle, relaxing and soothing warmth from under the sheets.
- Specifications: It works on 110V U.S. electrical system. The dimensions of this quilted heated electric mattress pad are 13×11.7×7.6 inches and it weighs 3 lbs.
- Why we like it: This well designed simple neck and shoulder arthritis gadget will help an arthritic sufferer soothe the neck and shoulders areas. It has heat-absorbing clay beads that provide a combination of heat therapy and aromatherapy. Each time the product is heated, herbal aromas (lavender, lemongrass, chamomile, and peppermint) are released, providing healing effects. This might even work as one of the many gifts for chronic pain sufferers just like massagers can, as illustrated in a previous post on pain relief methods.
- Specifications: This microwaveable wrap is ergonomically shaped. It only needs to be heated for 2 minutes for a deep, penetrating heat. It uses beads and flaxseeds as heating elements and releases aromatherapy when heated. It weighs 3.5 lbs. and comes with a user manual.
- Why we like them: A gift of plain ol’ rheumatoid arthritis socks is OK and everything, but they really don’t make great presents. These useful gadgets for arthritis sufferers do, because they have somewhat of a personality! These are microwavable gloves for arthritis, or in short: Mittens that can provide heat. Heat is very soothing for someone who suffers from rheumatoid arthritis. Unlike cumbersome mittens, these simple mittens do not have a thumb chamber or fingers compartments that may induce pain. The whole hand can fit inside each mitten.
- Specifications: The package includes two non-scented blue mittens. They take about 1 minute to heat up. Follow the instructions of the manufacturer for heating instructions.
- Why we like them: These nail clippers for arthritis sufferers are ergonomically designed to rotate at a 360 degree angle. This product has a swivel action that makes it easy to use. No more awkward twisting using regular clippers. These nail clippers can be used by people with arthritis, people with less flexibility and limited dexterity, people with diabetes, people with arthritic hands, or just for normal daily use.
- Specifications: These simple and useful fingernail clippers for arthritic hands are very light and are approximately 4″ long.
- Why we like it: This pain relief cream is mixed with natural ingredients, such as Arnica Montana Flower Extract, vitamin B6, and sunflower seed oil (to name a few). Made in the United States, this product took 8 years to perfect, and it’s backed 100% by the manufacturer. Someone with muscle pain, or severe arthritis will find this product very useful. Its effect can be felt almost immediately, especially for people with a loss of cartilage. It can help your loved one with feeling relief from needle-like pains in their feet and ankles, shoulder, forearm, and anywhere else pain exists. It’s a great product for inflammation and muscle pain and can be applied many times during the day. They can use it in the morning upon getting out of bed, during the day, or in the evening before going to bed.
- Specifications: Non-greasy, non-staining, vanishing scent, paraben-free, and cruelty-free.
Our 3 Best Gifts For People With Arthritis – Priced Between $50 – $100 ($$)
- Why we like it: A good gift for people with arthritis is one that provides comfort, and this best pillow for rheumatoid arthritis does just that. This is the least complicated product, yet probably the most helpful to a person with rheumatoid arthritis. This full body arthritis pillow is orthopedically designed to support the body for side sleeping, or while sleeping on the stomach. It allows hands, legs, and feet to have added support and cushion so that they don’t rest on other surfaces, or arched up against each other without a buffer zone. With or without arthritis, you really don’t know what you’re missing, until you get your hands (feet, and legs) on one of these!
- Specifications: Rheumatoid arthritis pillows are not very common to make, but this one is luckily made in the U.S. from good eco-friendly components that include bamboo and shredded memory foam. It comes with a hypoallergenic pillow cover.
- Why we like them: One of the most common factor between people who have arthritis and diabetes is the inflammation in the body. These arthritic slippers for women can help alleviate feet, heels, knees, hips and lower back pain. They offer a non-binding fit, making it possible to adjust the size of the slippers. This helps swollen feet get less restricted and more comfortably cushioned.
- Specifications: These slippers have arch support and are ergonomically designed. They can be adjusted to accommodate inflammation in the feet.
- Why we like it: A person suffering from rheumatoid arthritis will have difficulties lifting or carrying objects. He or she will appreciate the help this rolling briefcase that can accommodate a lot of stuff, including a laptop with up to 17 inch screen. It also includes a bonus sleeve that can fit a tablet. Think of it as an office on wheels!
- Specifications: It has inline skate wheels & a retractable hidden handle with 2 height levels and a front organizational section. The back section has a file section that can be removed.
Our 3 Best Gifts For People With Arthritis – Priced Over $100 ($$$)
- Why we like them: Heat can always make an arthritic person feel better. These advanced gloves for arthritis can be heated up to 5 and 1/2 hours and are waterproof. They can run on electricity, or on battery power. This makes a great gift for someone with rheumatoid arthritis who likes motorcycles, or simply someone who wants heat while they commute in the cold.
- Specifications: They come with 2 rechargeable lithium batteries, one for each glove (the batteries can fit in the back of the gloves in the zippered pocket). They come in various sizes: Small, medium, large, or X-large.
- Why we like it: Heat therapy can do wonders to the body of an arthritic person, especially if they have painfully dry hands. This professional product offers a paraffin wax treatment bath, which is a form of thermotherapy. This type of healing therapy can help someone with arthritis ease and relieve their pain. This product is professionally made and can help alleviate inflammation, and stiffness. It offers a better and more comfortable experience than that attained at a quality paraffin spa.
- Specifications: This product is made in the U.S.A. It makes one of many great products for people with arthritic hands. It is hand-assembled to ensure its excellent quality. This is a nice size 14″ x 8″ unit that includes 6 lbs. of paraffin therapeutic wax. You can order various types of wax paraffin such as blooming lilacs, cranberry zest, fresh squeezed lemons, and many other mixes. It is easy to put together right out of the box. It comes with a user manual and a 5 step quick and easy setup reference card.
- Why we like it: One of the fun products for people with arthritis is this light and foldable electric bike. It can be a very nice gift to give someone with arthritis who may need a bit of help walking around, in the complex, or anywhere else. Young people love it, and so do people who like a bit of an adventure. This unit does not use pedals like those on a traditional bike. Arthritis sufferers can sure appreciate this product’s portability and electrical motor that saves them having to pedal their way around.
- Specifications: Its total weight is 35 lb., and it is light, and small. It goes 10 miles per hour and in a 10 mile range. It can be charged while being in the car because it has a micro USB charging port. It doesn’t emit any toxins and is environmentally friendly. It is strong and can save a lot of space because it can fold. There are other types of pedal free electric bikes out there. Just make sure that the bike is a good fit for the person in question (not too small and not too large for their size).
Before you give a gift to an arthritic person, ask yourself this: Will my gift help the receiver ease thE pain, or will it make things worse?
An arthritic person’s immune system is often attacked by the lining of their joints, which causes inflammation. Lifting objects such as grocery bags becomes painful; sleeping becomes an ordeal, and moving about in various weather conditions becomes a struggle. This is why it would be nice for you to take these facts into consideration when choosing gifts for arthritis sufferers.
There are over 50 million people in the United States who currently live with RA, or rheumatoid arthritis. RA can affect anyone in the world. A lot of families suffer from it, and we can all get a touch of it as we get older. It can attack you, your loved ones, your coworkers, your family members, your neighbors, or even your children (yes, even kids can get RA in the form of juvenile arthritis). Lady Gaga often shared her struggles with chronic pain and pain in her joints. The queen of comedy Lucille Ball from “I Love Lucy” suffered from an acute form of arthritis, which started at the young age of 17. It took 12 more years after that for arthritis to be discovered.
Behind The Scenes: Our $, $$, And $$$ Price Guide
We came up with 3 price categories for the gifts we selected for people with arthritis. Most people are going to purchase items in the first ($) category where the prices of rheumatoid arthritis gifts are most likely going to be under $50. But if you have a fatter wallet than most people, consider the other bit more expensive items. They can truly make a big difference in the life of an arthritic person. Here is our price key, and you can click the images or the links to take you to the current prices.
$ = Price is under $50
$$ = Price is between $50-$100
$$$ = Price is over $100
What about you? Do you have any other suggestions on nice gifts for people with arthritis? Share and comment below and let us know.